This summer I will begin the process of learning how to use
a Sphero. This is a little plastic
robotic ball that can be directed to move, change colors, make noises… I don’t know what all is possible. As I explained in an earlier BLOG, I am not a
coder. This is a new journey for
me. I am going to take much of what I have
read in “Mindstorms” to heart, as I break my learning into doable pieces, and
pick myself up after inevitable mistakes.
I think Seymour Papert would support me in my
explorations of coding. I think he would be
pleased that I am planning to not only use this learning with my students, but
also develop what I know so it can be used by others with their students. This is just a baby step, but I think Papert
would be interested to hear about my attempts and how it effects my students
and their future learning experiences.
LOGO was just the beginning...
I am with you. I am not a coder, either, but I remember learning LOGO turtle" in junior high. After exploring LOGO again last semester and seeing how many coding apps and programs that are currently available, I feel that I should also explore more. How I can tie it to my 3rd grade curriculum is going to be the more challenging part. I don't want to teach coding abstractly, just for the sake of coding...
ReplyDeleteHi Mindy,
DeleteThis summer I've been exploring the Sphero mini "robot". Besides having fun with it, I can also see clear ways I can implement this very basic level of coding in my classroom. (I'm not a salesperson, I promise!)
Like you, I'd like to explore LOGO more. This book really got me hooked on the idea!
Good luck with the Sphero! My kids love them but I don't completely understand them. I thought of you when I saw a BB-8 one at Costco.
ReplyDeleteSo far I've had fun with what I've done. I'm in the process of writing an introduction and 5 lessons teachers can use with their classes. We'll see if I can persuade the rest of the department that it is worthwhile to take the time to learn how to use them!
ReplyDeleteInterested to know how your Sphero experience has been? How will you be incorporating it into your classroom.
ReplyDeleteWoo hoo! Congrats on the Sphero! With us being fellow Mathletes I see a lot of power with coding and a lot of ways that math concepts could accompany. If nothing else, coding makes our students think in a higher level and in a different way!
ReplyDelete