BLOG: Introduction… Coding in a Mathematics Classroom
I have been teaching mathematics at the middle and high
school levels for 15 years now. Most of
my time has been spent in high school, with either Algebra 1 or Prob/Stat
students. There are a lot of constraints
on our classroom time. Curriculum is
dictated by the county, and there are state-required end-of-year tests.
Even with all this going on, I feel myself embracing the
need to move away from a traditional classroom instructional style toward a
more authentic, problem-solving, blended environment. To ignore the fact that technology has
changed the world students live in is to set students up for failure. They need to learn 21st century
skills.
I have, lately, been interested in coding (or, as it is
sometimes called, computer programming).
Although I cannot, yet, call myself an expert, I am excited by the
possibilities it brings. In learning
coding, students are involved in authentic problem solving. Students need to learn the language of coding
and apply it to, in many situations (LOGO or Sphero, for example) moving either
an online “turtle” or an actual mini-robot.
They see direct results for their work.
They learn that “failure” motivates making changes and eventual
success. They are involved in authentic,
problem-based learning.
I am in the process of learning about Sphero for
myself. I’m at the bottom of the
learning rung right now, but I’m excited for the possibilities. We’ll see where I am in a month or so!
No comments:
Post a Comment